Helen Richards is an accomplished civil litigator, with extensive private practice and in-house experience. She is willing to dive into the details but knows the importance of keeping an eye on the bigger picture. She applies common sense and business acumen to legal problems in order to provide clients with practical legal advice.
Helen has appeared at all levels of court in Ontario and Saskatchewan and has experience with numerous regulatory bodies, including, the Ontario Securities Commission, the Investment Industry Regulatory Counsel of Canada, and the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board, among others.
Before moving in-house to be a securities litigator for a national bank, Helen was a commercial litigator at Blake, Cassels and Graydon LLP and McCarthy Tétrault LLP.
Helen is widely published on topics relating to corporate-commercial litigation and taught Contract Remedies at Osgoode Hall Law School from 2018 to 2020.
Helen received a Juris Doctor from the University of Toronto in 2011 and a Bachelor of International Business from Carleton University in 2008. She was called to the Ontario bar in 2012.
- Carbone v. Boccia, 2022 ONSC 6528, 2023 ONSC 54; Lead counsel in successfully moving for an Mareva injunction and Norwich Order against defendants in the context of a closely held cannabis business
- Riddell v. Huynh, 2022 ONSC 2153; Lead counsel in successfully resisting a CPL injunction
- Google Inc. v. Equustek Solutions Inc., 2017 SCC 34; Counsel for multiple interveners including the American Society of News Editors, the First Amendment Coalition, AOL Inc, and The Associated Press in a seminal Supreme Court case concerning a worldwide injunction against Google over de-indexing websites that were engaging in passing off
- ADAG Corporation Canada Ltd. v. SaskEnergy Incorporated, 2018 SKCA 14, successfully rev’ng 2019 SKQB 263; Counsel in a successful and complex commercial appeal concerning whether unconditional options to purchase granted by a general partner were binding on limited partners in a partnership governed by Saskatchewan’s The Partnership Act, RSS 1978, c P-3
- Mark Thompson v. Attorney General of Ontario, 2014 ONSC 3458; Lead counsel in a successful motion to strike a claim against the Attorney General of Ontario
- VM v GJD, 2014 CanLII 14446 (ON HPARB); successful in having decision of ICRC to issue a caution to a physician confirmed
- SMK v IB, 2014CanLII 6696 (ON HPARB); successfully resisted an appeal from an ICRC decision of the CPSO to take no further action in respect of a complaint against two pediatricians
- SM v DR, 2014 CanLII 15658 (ON HPARB); successful in having ICRC decision to issue a caution to a physician about medical records confirmed
- Goodwood Inc. v. Cathay Forest Products Corp., 2013 ONSC 4242; successful in a motion to recover costs relating to a s. 144 court-ordered shareholders’ meeting under the Canadian Business Corporations Act