Avi Bourassa helps corporate and individual clients navigate complex commercial/contractual disputes. Avi has experience in professional negligence, real property and commercial leasing, franchising, defamation, shareholder/oppression disputes, fraud/misrepresentation, construction, and intellectual property. He also frequently defends professionals in front of their boards, colleges, and societies in regulatory matters.
Prior to joining Ross Nasseri in 2021, Avi practiced for five years as a litigation associate at McCarthy Tétrault, a leading national full-service firm, where he acted for a broad range of corporate and individual clients across a variety of industries.
Avi’s representative mandates include:
- Counsel to a privately held corporation in a multi-million dollar real property development contractual dispute, at trial and on appeal (Fram Elgin Mills 90 Inc. v. Romandale Farms Limited et al., 2019 ONSC 5322, 2020 ONSC 1621, and 2021 ONCA 201);
- Successful defence of a national franchisor in an expedited domestic arbitration brought by a terminated franchisee seeking permanent injunctive relief;
- Successful partial summary judgment motion on behalf of the defendant clinic (Rush v. De Ruiter, 2018 ONSC 1210);
- Successful response to an appeal to the HPARB on behalf of the respondent physician (D.G.E. v A.O.A., 2017 CanLII69303 (ON HPARB).
Avi has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario as well as administrative tribunals including the Discipline Committee of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, and the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (HPARB). Avi has also acted as counsel in private commercial arbitration matters.
In addition to his private practice, Avi also acts regularly as duty counsel at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice through Pro Bono Ontario.
Avi received his Juris Doctor with Honours from the University of Toronto in 2015. While in law school, Avi was awarded the Gowlings WLG Prize in Innovation Law & Policy. Throughout law school, Avi volunteered for the Artists’ Legal Advice Service (ALAS) in downtown Toronto. Avi also spent time working in the Paris office of an international law firm. In his second year, Avi represented U of T at the Laskin Moot, mooting in French and winning a team award. In his final year of law school, Avi spent a semester studying at the Center for Transnational Legal Studies in London, UK, with a focus on international law and cross-border issues. Avi also holds an Honours Bachelor of Arts with High Distinction from the University of Toronto, with a double major in Commerce and Economics and a minor in Philosophy.
Called to the Ontario Bar in 2016, Avi is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, the Canadian Bar Association, the Ontario Bar Association, and the Advocates’ Society.
Awards & Rankings
- Recognized in The Globe and Mail’s Canada’s Best Law Firms list for Dispute Resolution (Litigation, Arbitration & Investigations) (2022)